I call him “The father of Dolls” as Kev Yiu is the creator of beautiful custom Anime Dolls! They are so amazing that his Doll Label “Mini Couture” has spread all around the social Networks. But this is only one Passion of the very popular and successful Fashion Designer. Let me first give you an summary of how everything has started:
Kev Yiu is a Hong Kong designer who studied in England and graduated with triple distinctions in Fashion and Clothing. In 2006, he began his career in bags and garments and launched his own brand “Sovereign romance” in England as a foreign designer.
Having studied in England for years, Kev was very much inspired by the European fashion culture and firmly believes that fashion is much more than a business, but it’s also an art form which can be translated into a visible language to express his point of views. His aim is to bring Love and Romance into the fashion industry as well as peoples’ daily lives.
His designs have been strongly appreciated and worn by celebrities in Hong Kong such as Sammi Cheng, Twins, Myolie Wu, Ivana Wong, Fiona- Sit & Kary Ng Etc. And recently he was selected as one of the “Rise & Shine” Fashion influences by Hong Kong well known magazine “Jessica Code”.
Geeks Life Luxembourg: Mr Yiu, thank you so much for giving us the time to talk about your beautiful handcrafted dolls. They are really amazing and have become quite popular, that’s why we have become curious about their origin.
1. But actually this is just a small part of your passion and talent as in fact you are a fashion designer and creator of the brand Kevolie?
Mr Yiu: Yes indeed, I am a fashion designer in real life but I was grown as an animation lover, making dolls is like a hobby for me to escape from my intensive work 🙂
2. You started making use of your dollmaker talent and sharing it with others? How did that happen? What was the main inspiration?
Mr Yiu: I learnt how to make puppets when I was studying in England and I have always been very keen on dolls since I was little and I am a Sailor Moon doll collector as well.
3. I’ve heard about your huge Sailor Moon vintage doll collection. How many official Sailor Moon dolls do you own now and how long did it take to collect them?
Mr Yiu: As I mentioned I am a Sailor Moon doll collector, I have collected over 200+ vintage dolls from different countries, mostly japan, for the Japan edition I am still missing the non-taking Jupiter from season SS and the deluxe Moon set B from season S, I would be willing to exchange them with my work if anyone is willing to hahaha! It took me around 7 years.
As far as I can recall, about two years ago I accidentally encountered a clip showing how custom dolls are made and I was like why not giving it a try?
So I purchased some second handed dolls and started practicing on hair rooting and face painting , sewing dolly dresses has never been a problem for me as I have been making dresses for human for over 10 years .
4. By that occasion, what is your favourite Sailor Moon character and why?
Mr Yiu: I like the villians most as they have wonderful and complicated designs.
5. Let’s get back to your dolls now. How long have you been making them?
Mr Yiu: I have just picked up this hobby for 2 years but my ultimate goal is to launch my own fashion doll line, but I still need more practice to achieve that.
6. With your experience being a designer you got many abilities for making the dolls clothes. But how about hair and face? Did you visit a workshop?
Mr Yiu: I basically learn from trial and failure and YouTube (thanks for all youtuber!)
7. Imagining your full time job as fashion designer at Kevolie, how do you even manage to find any time for this passion? Must be very hard?
Mr Yiu: I only have time to get the dolls done when I have a day off, or any sleepless night will do lol!
8. And how long does it take you to finish a doll?
Mr Yiu: For simple ones it takes around 12 hours but for complicated ones I can spend up to 45 hours.
9. How can your fans order a doll handcrafted by you? Do you have an online shop?
Mr Yiu: I am planning to launch an online platform selling fan made and originals, stay tuned. For now they can direct message me via Facebook 😊
Thank you Mr Kev Yiu for giving us the chance to take a look at your beautiful work and we hope that we will see more of your beautiful dolls in the future!
Until the online shop launches and for further information about his beauties, contact: https://www.facebook.com/KYminicouture/